Andrew H. Walker, Getty Images Nine days after the deadly tornado that touched…
- Posted on Feb 8th 2010 4:00PM by Dan Reilly
1. Fishing Line and Hook: To catch fish, you don't need a pole. You can just use a hook and a line. I did that and caught a little trout. Trout always tastes good. I also learned how to make some snares while I was out there because I'd just never done it before, but that's only if you're really trying to be Mr. Survival Guy. I wasn't out there to prove anything. I was out there to write songs.
2. Cigar-Tin Med Kit: Basically, a cigar tin has a waterproof seal and you can put so many things that are tiny and indispensible, like a needle for fixing clothes or your tent, Band-Aids, disinfectant, water purification tablets -- that kind of s--- that you're going to need but you don't want it lost everywhere. You're also going to want a waterproof case for waterproof matches for fire-starting.
3. A Good, Solid Karabiner: You need a karabiner to hang your food [from a tree] to keep it away from animals, especially bears. You're supposed to take a rope and put your food out of reach so they don't come to your tent looking for it. Also, a keychain flashlight just for if you're out late hiking attached to you on a karabiner is useful.
4. A Cell Phone: You're supposed to have a phone if you're solo camping. I had one, which I left in the tent. I kept it off because I didn't want to be distracted, but I kept it in case I needed to call for help or something. I called Sarah [Balliet, Murder By Death's cellist] once in the middle of the week to be like 'Hey guys, I'm still alive.'
5. Writing Supplies: I had a good pen and a notepad to write all these lyrics and whatnot. I also borrowed a cheap guitar in case it got rained on, a tuner and capos, everything, and then I never used it. I never pulled it out of the car, because I write in my head. I also brought a little pocket camcorder, filmed one thing for 30 seconds and was like 'I feel like such a f---ing moron.' I hate being filmed. I haven't used the thing since.