Facebook R&B crooner Mario has been relatively quiet on the music front for…
- Posted on Mar 24th 2010 7:45AM by James Lawrenson
His assailant, Daniel Sullivan, was removed by security after tackling Gallagher and later charged with assault causing bodily harm after the incident at the Virgin Music Festival. Gallagher dislodged three ribs in the attack, leading to Oasis having to cancel gigs and television appearances for the album 'Dig Out Your Soul.'
On Tuesday, March 23, Sullivan, 48, of Pickering, Ontario, appeared in court in Toronto for sentencing, the Toronto Sun reported. He had pleaded guilty to the charges in November.
Ruth Kleinhenz-Neilson, a Crown prosecutor, read aloud Gallagher's victim impact statement. It had been delayed from February, because Gallagher wanted to be in court to read it himself. However, it turned out that he was too busy with plans to begin a solo career after the end of Oasis last year to appear.
In his statement, as reported by the Canadian Press, Gallagher said, "I would describe the sudden impact and shock as feeling as if I had been hit by a bus."
The prosecution said that the cancellation of gigs and television appearances led to an incalculable loss of earnings, as Oasis were in the midst of a promotional tour.
Gallagher's statement also said, "The promotional work in connection with the launch of the new album was very important to its success and early sales momentum. This opportunity was lost."
Gallagher is pursuing a civil suit against Sullivan for around $2 million Canadian (£1.3 million) for loss of earnings and, presumably, his suffering from his injuries. The Toronto Sun reported that Gallagher experienced "serious pain" for months following the unexpected attack.
The video of the incident is here. Sullivan, who admitted he had been drinking before the attack, will be sentenced on April 21 -- with the Crown pushing for a six-to-eight-month prison term, according to the Canadian Press.