David Byrne Sues Florida Governor for $1 Million Over Song Use
- Posted on May 25th 2010 7:00AM by Chris Mugan
- Comments
The band's former frontman is seeking $1 million (£700,000) from Gov. Charlie Crist over the use of the 1985 single in his senatorial campaign, backing an online ad that attacked his then Republican primary opponent Marco Rubio.
Byrne's lawyers filed his case on Monday, May 24, at a court in Tampa, Fla., even though Crist dropped the ad after he was contacted by Warner Bros. Records.
Byrne told Billboard.com that a friend in his home city of New York told him about the ad. "I was pretty upset by that," he said. "In my opinion the damage had already been done by it being out there. People that I knew had seen [the ad], so it had gotten around."
The suit, he adds, "is not about politics ... It's about copyright and about the fact that it does imply that I would have licensed it and endorsed him and whatever he stands for."
While Crist is now running as an independent candidate, his former Republican rival has also stepped on musical toes. Rubio used the Steve Miller Band's 1976 track 'Take the Money and Run' for an anti-Crist ad, only removing it after Miller complained, Billboard reported.
- Filed under: News





Willow Smith, 'Annie': Singer Walks Away From Movie Role ... But Why?
Mindy McCready Committed to Treatment Facility After Children Taken by Child Services -- Report
CBS Grammy Memo Forbids Bare Breasts, Buttocks, Nipples, Genitals, Etc.
Selena Gomez, Airport Fan Encounter: Star Makes Unexpected Move at LAX
Marilyn Manson Collapses on Stage (VIDEO)
King Gordy Shot Five Times in Detroit
Lady Gaga Backstage Rider: Strawberry Jam, Special K and a 'Mannequin With Puffy Pink Pubic Hair'
Donald Byrd Dead: Legendary Jazz Musician Dies at 80
Kenny Chesney 'Pirate Flag' Video Premiere
Beyonce, Super Bowl Outfit: Singer's Leather Look Slammed by PETA


32 Comments