Sandra-Lee Phipps, REM HQ It was this week some 30 years ago that Athens, GA…
- Posted on Mar 24th 2011 9:00AM by John D. Luerssen
Michael Tran, FilmMagic
Billed as 'Big Star's Third/Sister Lovers All-Star Collective,' the concert will benefit three musician-oriented charities. Stipe will be joined by his R.E.M. bandmate Mike Mills, Teenage Fanclub's Norman Blake, Matthew Sweet, Yo La Tengo's Ira Kaplan, Big Star's Jody Stephens, Let's Active frontman Mitch Easter and the dB's Chris Stamey among others.
"There's something about this record that connects with my generation, and apparently many generations," Stamey said of 'Sister Lovers' in a statement. "We have been trying to create a concert piece that can have a life in years to come, trying to keep the spirit of the music and make it come across with the right emotions live."
Last December, Big Star's third album was performed in public with string and wind orchestrations at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC,with many of the aforementioned names. That experience prompted these indie all stars to come together for the March 26th show at Baruch College's Mason Hall.
The show's line-up of songs/performers will be:
1. 'Kizza Me' by Matt McMichaels (Mayflies USA)
2. 'O Dana' by Ira Kaplan (Yo La Tengo)
3. 'For You' by Jody Stephens (Big Star)
4. 'Nighttime' by Norman Blake (Teenage Fanclub)
5. 'Jesus Christ' by Mike Mills (R.E.M.)
6. 'Take Care' by Ira Kaplan (Yo La Tengo)
7. 'Big Black Car' by Matthew Sweet
8. 'Stroke It, Noel' by Norman Blake (Teenage Fanclub)
9. 'Blue Moon' by Jody Stephens (Big Star)
10. "Femme Fatale" (Singer not confirmed)
11. 'Downs' (Various)
12. 'Dream Lover' by Tift Merritt
13. 'Holocaust' by Django Haskins (The Old Ceremony)
14. 'You Can't Have Me' by Tift Merritt
15. 'Kanga Roo' by Michael Stipe (R.E.M.)
16. 'Thank You, Friends' (Various)
The concert will benefit the Corona Youth Music Project, Queens, NY and KidZNotes, the El Sistema program in Durham, NC, plus the New Orleans Musicians Clinic.