- Posted by Aaron Brophy
Meagan Fredette | Michael Pugliese
But what happens when Bruce Springsteen, Big Star and the Jesus And Mary Chain are all playing on the same night (March 15) and no amount of "Do you know who I am?!" can get you into the venues they're playing at?
It's time to go off the grid.
Sure you could go see next-big-thing acts like ASAP Rocky or Caveman -- or flag AOL Music's awesome showcase featuring Kaiser Chiefs and the Temper Trap -- and you would be thoroughly satisfied. But where's the risk in that?
Instead, you could go on an adventure with How I Quit Crack. Or Puffy Areolas. Or Moonmen on the Moon, Man. Or B L A C K I E ALL CAPS WITH SPACES. Or perhaps any one of A Great Big Pile of Leaves, Gay Witch Abortion and Jingle Punks Hipster Orchestra. Stumbling upon these uniquely named bands when you least expect it is what adds the chipotle sauce to the BBQ ribs that is your SXSW experience.
With that in mind, Spinner fired up the strangeness detector and talked to 11 of the weirdest named acts playing SXSW 2012.
Here's what they're all about:
- Diarrhea Planet
- Cassettes Won't Listen
- Delicate Steve
- DJ Jester the Filipino Fist
- I Hate Our Freedom
- Not in the Face!
- Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt
- Unicycle Loves You
- Wheelchair Sports Camp
- Letting Up Despite Great Faults
- Best Musician/Author Collaborations
- U2 and Salman Rushdie
- Beck and David Eggers
- The Clash and Allen Ginsberg
- Ben Folds and Nick Hornby
- Kurt Cobain and William S. Borroughs
- Justin Rutledge and Michael Ondaatje
- Paul Simon and Derek Walcott
- Paul Oakenfold and Hunter S. Thompson
- Shooter Jennings and Stephen King
- One Ring Zero and Margaret Atwood and Others
- Lou Reed's 7 Best Songs
- 'Street Hassle'
- 'Crazy Feeling'
- 'Caroline Says II'
- 'Walk on the Wild Side'
- 'Charley's Girl'
- 'Satellite of Love'
- Runners Up
- Adele Performance 2012 Photos