Not everyone was excited about Skrillex's victories, however. Former dubstep "sellout" deadmau5 had the following to say about his fellow EDM artist's haul, "He's good example of making a movement, he took this brostep thing and really commercialized it. And I'm not saying that's bad. You got to be really careful with those mill markets because they'll turn on you in a second." Why you mad, bro? [Vibe]
Though EDM was visibly absent from this year's Awards, at least in terms of performance, and Skrillex's acceptances were pre-taped once again, Spin's Philip Sherburne has penned an excellent essay on the subject. Seems like the Grammys realized that pitting a DJ against a performance by Jack White or Justin Timberlake is probably not the move. [Spin]
Here's the visual accompaniment to James Blake's new single, "Retrograde," which leaked last week. [YouTube]
German producer Isolée will be releasing a new EP, Allowance, later this week (finally), and here's a video for the title track, which is really nice. [YouTube]
Brooklyn lo-fi house producer Terekke will be releasing a second 12" for L.I.E.S., Yyyyyyyyyy, featuring "narrative, breathing, basement house with subtle morphing chords and heavy tape hiss." Anyway, check out his SoundCloud, it's got plenty of spacy house tracks and ambiance, a pretty great find. [SoundCloud]
- Rockers Who Cleaned Up Their Image at the Grammys
- Will Smith (1998)
- Will Smith (2011)
- Courtney Love (2004)
- Courtney Love (2006)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers (1993)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers (2007)
- John Mayer (2003)
- John Mayer (2011)
- Dr. Dre (2000)
- Dr. Dre (2011)
- Sting (1999)
- Sting (2000)
- Chris Martin (2004)
- Chris Martin (2009)
- Dave Grohl (2006)
- Dave Grohl (2012)
- Sheryl Crow (1997)
- Sheryl Crow (2010)
- 20 Important Historical Moments Captured in Song
- Don McLean "American Pie"
- U2 "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
- Gordon Lightfoot "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
- Dr. Dre "The Day the Niggaz Took Over"
- Bob Dylan "Hurricane"
- Pearl Jam "Jeremy"
- Billy Joel, "We Didn't Start the Fire"
- The Neville Brothers "Sister Rosa"
- The Tragically Hip, "Wheat Kings"
- Boomtown Rats "I Don't Like Mondays"
- The Cranberries "Zombie"
- Bloc Party "Hunting for Witches"
- The Postal Service "Sleeping In"
- Bruce Springsteen "The Rising"/"My City of Ruins"
- Arlo Guthrie "Alice's Restaurant Massacre"
- Filter, "Hey Man, Nice Shot"
- KISS, "Detroit Rock City"
- Cherry Poppin' Daddies, "Zoot Suit Riot"
- Steve Earle, "Ben McCulloch"
- Arcade Fire "Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)"