The song has inspired fan-made videos from around the world, but the place "Harlem Shake" has caused the biggest stir is in the Middle East, where Egyptian activists have announced a protest shake in front of the Muslim Brotherhood's headquarters in Moqattam, Egypt, on Thursday (March 7).
"We're creating a new group called Satiric Revolutionary Struggle that aims to send clear messages to the Muslim Brotherhood through satire," activist Farid Sayed explained. "The event is in front of the Muslim Brotherhood headquarters because we know their office is ruling the country."
Sadly, the protest may result in violence, according to Muslim Brotherhood spokesperson Mahmoud Ghozlan.
"It is not guaranteed to be peaceful. These matters always lead to violence which is unacceptable," Ghozlan told the Daily News, adding that violent protestors will be met with arrest.
Four students have already been arrested for performing a "scandalous act" by dancing to the "Harlem Shake" in their underwear.
Perhaps meme-as-protest is the 2013 meme-as-Reddit post.
Meanwhile, Baauer will be hitting the road for nine dates in April as part of the Worst of Both Worlds tour with rapper Danny Brown. The duo will also be playing Coachella, where "lucky" concert-goers may witness the world's largest Harlem Shake enacted (thus far).
- David Seville "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)" (Nominated)
- Vaughn Meader 'The First Family' (Won)
- The New Vaudeville Band "Winchester Cathedral" (Won)
- A Taste of Honey (Won)
- Robin Williams / The Blues Brothers (Nominated)
- USA for Africa 'We are the World' (Nominated)
- Jethro Tull 'Crest of a Knave' (Won)
- Milli Vanilli (Won)
- Eric Clapton "Layla" (Unplugged version) (Won)
- The Rolling Stones 'Voodoo Lounge'
- Skee-Lo 'I Wish' (Nominated)
- Quad City DJ's "Space Jam" (Nominated)
- Will Smith "Men In Black"/"Gettin' Jiggy wit It" (Winner)
- Steely Dan 'Two Against Nature' (Winner)
- Baha Men "Who Let the Dogs Out?" (Winner)
- Creed "With Arms Wide Open" (Winner)
- Paul McCartney 'Liverpool Sound Collage' (Winner)
- Afroman "Because I Got High"
- Herbie Hancock 'River: The Joni Letters' (Winner)
- Al Walser "I Can't Live Without You" (Nominated)
- This Week in Music History: February 10 - 16
- February 10, 2006: RIP J Dilla
- February 11, 2012: RIP Whitney Houston
- February 12, 1967: Rolling Stones Witchhunt Begins
- February 13, 2011: Who is the Arcade Fire?
- February 14, 1970: RIAA Declares War on Music Pirates
- February 15, 1975: Gino Vannelli Invades Soul Train
- February 16, 1984: Jerry Lee Lewis' Great Balls of Tax Evasion
- Steve Aoki in South Africa